Matching You with a Pre-Screened Smog Check Center You will Love
Free Online Smog Check Diagnosis
$500 Free Consumer Repair Assistance
Failed Emissions Test
How to Pass the Test
Who Else Wants To Pass the Smog Check
Which Type Should I Choose?
    Forum > Out of State Vehicle > Question

Join the community and post your questions. Ask-A-Tech right now!

Out of State Vehicle

Dodge Ram Purchasing in Nevada then Registering it in California

I'm planning on purchasing an 1998 Dodge Ram from a relative who lives in Nevada. We tried to smog check it here in CA but it failed for not having a catalytic converter and had "tampered" as the reason for failing. We purchased one and went back and it passed. The emissions label says its good under all federal laws but does not mention CA. My question is can I register it in California since it has passed a CA smog check?


Yes, you may register a 1998 Federal Emissions Certified vehicle in California so long as the vehicle passes a California smog check. Only when a vehicle is brand new, and is only Federal Emissions certified (and not both California and Federal) is it not allowed California registration. Used vehicles are exempt from this requirement.

posted by SmogTips Support 09-13-2017 11:08 AM

Related Nevada questions and answers you might find useful:

Dodge Ram Purchasing in Nevada then Registering it in California by Mark on 09-11-2017 02:41 AM

Will a Smog Check From Nevada Count In California? by Chris on 02-05-2017 08:05 PM

Using California Smog Check for Nevada Car Registration by T on 01-03-2017 11:22 AM

Can I Smog Check my 2007 Lexus IS250 Out of California by christine on 04-05-2016 08:58 AM

2008 Winnebago Vista Purchased Out of State by Jodean on 01-20-2016 02:21 PM