Matching You with a Pre-Screened Smog Check Center You will Love
Free Online Smog Check Diagnosis
$500 Free Consumer Repair Assistance
Failed Emissions Test
How to Pass the Test
Who Else Wants To Pass the Smog Check
Which Type Should I Choose?
    Forum > Vehicle Registration > Question

Join the community and post your questions. Ask-A-Tech right now!

Vehicle Registration

Title and Registration for 1991 Suzuki Cappuccino Imported from Japan

Hi, I recently had a 1991 Suzuki Cappuccino imported from Japan. The car has a 660cc engine which means it should be exempt from the SMOG program due to the displacement being under 50 cubic inches. Do I need to have the vehicle certified by the CARB laboratory and referee certified still? What kind of process will I have to go through for CA registration? Thank you


California discontinued the smog exemption for engine sizes 50 Cu and under. All 1975 and newer gasoline and diesel powered USED vehicles, with very limited exceptions, must now undergo a smog check during initial California registration and biennially. In the case of your Suzuki Cappuccino, yes it will need to receive a CARB Laboratory Test and Referee Center smog inspection. Once these certifications are obtained, registering the vehicle in California would be the same as if having brought the vehicle in from out-of-state. It's the lab and referee inspection that makes the process a bit difficult and costly, no to mention customs and importing fees.

Here's the link directly to the California Air Resources Board with some more details.

Registering an NON-USA, out-of-country, or "Grey Market" car in California

For more California vehicle registration information we recommend visiting

posted by SmogTips Support

Related grey market questions and answers you might find useful:

1988 Nissan Skyline GTS Japanese Domestic Market by Joe

1984 Mercedes 280SL, Grey Market Vehicle, can it be registered in California? by Terry