A 1976 model year vehicle was exempt in 2005, a 1977 in 2006, etc.
As of April 1, 2005, exempt from smog check requirements are any motor vehicle manufactured prior to the 1976 model year. All vehicles 1976 and newer vehicles will be tested according to state emission law. This law repeals the 30-year rolling exemption.
Others Exempt: Also exempt from the State of California Smog Check program are:
Diesel Smog Check
- 2 wheel motorcycles
- Diesel cars & trucks (1997 & older)
- Diesel trucks (over 14,500 GVW)
- Title transfer between a spouse, domestic partner, sibling, child, parent, grandparent, or grandchild.
- A smog certification was submitted to DMV within 90 days prior to the transfer date.
- All 1998 & newer diesel powered vehicles weighing under 14,500 GVW will need a diesel smog check. The diesel smog test will not include the emissions test portion of the regular inspection. There will be no tailpipe emissions test. Dynamometer testing will not be part of the diesel smog check inspection. Your vehicle will not be driven on the dynamometer during the diesel smog check. Instead the Diesel smog check will focus on a visual inspection
of your vehicle's emissions/smog components, a system check of the On Board Diagnostics (OBD II
) system, a visual smoke check for excessive black smoke, and an EVAP functional test
. Diesel cars and trucks which fail the diesel smog test will have their vehicles repaired at a diesel repair shop.
Hybrid Vehicles (HEVs) Require Smog Test:
A hybrid electric vehicle is defined as any passenger vehicle that uses an electric motor as a part of its propulsion system, as well as an internal combustion engine.
As of April 15th 2015 Hybrid-Electric vehicles are required to undergo a smog inspection biennially when the registration renewal is due, during initial registration, and anytime a change-of-ownership occurs (unless a smog inspection was conducted within 90 days of the sale date). HEVs are administered the BAR-OIS smog test. HEVs are not adminsitered the BAR-97 smog inspection (no tailpipe test). How is the BAR-OIS smog test done?
All hybrid electric cars and trucks are required to get smog tested. Some HEV models are also built as non-hybrids. For example the Tahoe, Camry, Civic, and Escape.
The following vehicles are a few of the makes and models of hybrids required to have a smog check administered for CA DMV registration purposes.
- Chevy Hybrid Tahoe – all years
- Honda Insight – all years
- Honda Civic Hybrid – all years
- Lexus Hybrid RX, GS, LS – all years
- Toyota Prius – all years
- Toyota Hybrid Camry – all years
- Toyota Hybrid Highlander – all years
California Smog Check Program applies to the following vehicles - A smog certificate will be required to operate these vehicles on public roadways: Acura, Alfa Romeo, Aston Martin, Audi, BMW, Bentley, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Lamborghini, Daihatsu, Dodge, Eagle, Ferrari, Ford, GMC, Geo, Honda, Hummer, Hyundai, Infiniti, International, Isuzu, Jaguar, Jeep, Kia, Daewoo, Land Rover, Lexus, Lincoln, Lotus, Maserati, Maybach, Mazda, Mercedes Benz, Mercury, Mini, Mitsubishi, Morgan, Nissan, Oldsmobile, Peugeot, Plymouth, Pontiac, Porsche, Rolls-Royce, Saab, Saturn, Scion, Smart, Sterling, Subaru, Suzuki, Toyota, Volkswagen, VW, Volvo.