Matching You with a Pre-Screened Smog Check Center You will Love
Free Online Smog Check Diagnosis
$500 Free Consumer Repair Assistance
Failed Emissions Test
How to Pass the Test
Who Else Wants To Pass the Smog Check
Need Registration Renewal?
    Forum > Consumer Assistance > Question

Join the community and post your questions. Ask-A-Tech right now!

Consumer Assistance

Applying for CAP repairs for my Geo Metro.

Hello. We own a 1997 Geo Metro. My sister and I are both registered owners of my car. However, I am the only one who uses it, and I am the only one who pays for all expenses related to it. Also, she and I own property together. However, we live separately and file taxes separately. I, on my own, qualify for the CAP program as I earn little to no money. My sister, on the other hand, would not qualify based on her higher income.

I am being directed to a Test-Only station, but as I understand it, I can no longer receive financial assistance based on that alone. I can only apply based on income eligibility. If I fail the smog test (my "check engine" light turns on periodically), I definitely cannot afford costly repairs. So, my question is, will I be eligible for the CAP program, or will they take my sister's income into consideration as well because she is a registered owner, even if she does not have anything to do with the car? She certainly wouldn't be paying for any of my car's repairs, but I don't know if the state will recognize that, or if they will assume she can pay because she technically also owns the car. Or even because she and I own property together, even though we are not in the same household.

Everyone is telling me not to worry about failing the smog test because I can apply for assistance, but I don't know if my sister's financial standing will affect my eligibility just because her name is also on the registration, and I have to provide her name on the CAP application. I would appreciate any clarification on this. Thank you!


The state of California will consider your application based on the household income information you provide, which we will assume will be your personal household income, correct? Based on that information you will probably be eligible for assistance. The application provides space to provide the income of one household (the primary driver/owner/responsible party).

posted by SmogTips Support 11-22-2011 04:06 AM

Related questions and answers you might find useful:

1999 ford F-150 by patrick on 01-20-2022 09:06 AM

Mini Cooper DMV Registration Due in 5 Day Won't Pass Smog by anne on 10-06-2021 02:32 PM

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with K&N Air Filter by David on 09-30-2021 11:34 AM

1995 BMW M3 Gross Polluter High HC & NO @ 15MPH by Jared on 09-27-2021 08:56 AM

Missing Emission Sticker Caused Smog Check Failure? by Michael on 09-24-2021 04:05 AM