Matching You with a Pre-Screened Smog Check Center You will Love
Free Online Smog Check Diagnosis
$500 Free Consumer Repair Assistance
Failed Emissions Test
How to Pass the Test
Who Else Wants To Pass the Smog Check
Which Type Should I Choose?
    Forum > Out of State Vehicle > Question

Join the community and post your questions. Ask-A-Tech right now!

Out of State Vehicle

What Type of Smog Check Do I Need for a New Subaru BRZ from Out-of-State?

Hello, I just purchased a brand new 2014 Subaru BRZ from out-of-state and need to register the car soon in California (my residing state). I know that I am required to smog my car upon registration, but I am unsure of which type of smog do I need for my car. Does it need to be a STAR certified smog? Or will a regular smog suffice. Thanks in advance for your answer.


Any type of smog station will do, STAR or not, Test & Repair or Test Only. The only important thing here is to make sure your Subaru is 50-State (California) emission legal. The underhood emission sticker needs to mention California Emissions Equipped (or Legal)... please note this is only assuming that in fact this is a brand new vehicle which means it has less than 7500 miles on it. If it has more, it is considered used. A used out-of-state vehicle does not need to be California emissions certified and only has to pass a California smog check. So in other words... either way you need a California smog check and any California BAR Certified smog check station.

posted by SmogTips Support 11-12-2013 07:18 PM

Related questions and answers you might find useful:

Mini Cooper DMV Registration Due in 5 Day Won't Pass Smog by anne on 10-06-2021 02:32 PM

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with K&N Air Filter by David on 09-30-2021 11:34 AM

1995 BMW M3 Gross Polluter High HC & NO @ 15MPH by Jared on 09-27-2021 08:56 AM

Missing Emission Sticker Caused Smog Check Failure? by Michael on 09-24-2021 04:05 AM

Do PCV Hoses Have To Be CARB Certified? by Kevin on 09-23-2021 11:41 AM