Matching You with a Pre-Screened Smog Check Center You will Love
Free Online Smog Check Diagnosis
$500 Free Consumer Repair Assistance
Failed Emissions Test
How to Pass the Test
Who Else Wants To Pass the Smog Check
Which Type Should I Choose?
    Forum > Emissions Component > Question

Join the community and post your questions. Ask-A-Tech right now!

Emissions Component

2001 Suzuki Vitara XL-7 3.6 Catalytic Converter

My Suzuki Vitara failed the smog check and I have taken it to a smog repair shop. The shop says it needs new manifold with Catalytic converter attached to it. My manifold has a crack in it. The shop can't find parts legal for sale in California. What do I do, as I need the car? Is there a way to extend the registration renewal date until parts can be found?


We were unable to locate a California legal aftermarket catalytic converter for your Suzuki Vitara. Your option is to purchase an original exhaust manifold and catalytic converter from the dealer. You may also contact the State's Smog Check Parts locator by calling 800–622–7733.

In the mean time you may ask the DMV for an extension; although recently the greatest extension they have been giving has been for 30 days. Not sure if this will help you out. There is a $50.00 fee involved for the extension as well. Visit a local DMV branch. It is recommended to make an appointment first as the average wait time now is 1.5 hours.

posted by SmogTips Support

Related questions and answers you might find useful:

How Do I Get a Smog Check Waiver? by Margaret

Do I Need a Smog Check This Year? by Joy

Mini Cooper DMV Registration Due in 5 Day Won't Pass Smog by anne

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with K&N Air Filter by David

1995 BMW M3 Gross Polluter High HC & NO @ 15MPH by Jared