Matching You with a Pre-Screened Smog Check Center You will Love
Free Online Smog Check Diagnosis
$500 Free Consumer Repair Assistance
Failed Emissions Test
How to Pass the Test
Who Else Wants To Pass the Smog Check
Which Type Should I Choose?
    Forum > Out of State Vehicle > Question

Join the community and post your questions. Ask-A-Tech right now!

Out of State Vehicle

Moving to California with 2006 Mustang

Hi, I have a 2006 Ford Mustang already registered in Columbus, Ohio. I bought it 1.5 years ago from a used car dealership with 83,000 miles on it. The label under the hood says Federally Certified but does not specify California Certified. I am moving to California. Will I be able to register the car there and pass a smog test? Thank you for your time and help, Luis.


There is a difference with California legal and Federal legal emission systems. However if this Ford Mustang is equipped with the Federal (49-state legal) smog parts which it was originally equipped with, it can pass the California smog check and register with the CA DMV. If the Mustang you are considering buying has not had its emissions system tampered, the check engine light is not illuminated and its emission monitors are "ready", the vehicle can pass the California smog check without any emissions system modification and/or upgrade.

posted by SmogTips Support 02-06-2019 09:23 AM

Related Ford Mustang questions and answers you might find useful:

Failed Smog Check Due To Missing Emissions Sticker by Walter on 06-11-2019 05:06 PM

Moving to California with 2006 Mustang by Luis on 02-04-2019 06:43 PM

2012 Ford Mustang Failed Because Monitors Not Ready by Juan on 01-04-2018 09:26 PM

Ford Mustang GT High HC with X pipe and Magnaflow Mufflers by tom on 06-14-2017 11:49 AM

Registering an Out of State Ford Mustang in CA by chris on 05-26-2017 01:14 PM