Your Volvo C70 needs to complete a drive cycle. Usually driving in both city and highway conditions over the course of a few days is enough to get the drive cycle to run and make the emission monitors ready (or COMPLETE) for the smog test. At times however, due to individual driving habits, following the Volvo drive cycle is required.
How to Complete an Volvo C70 Drive Cycle
Performing the driving pattern below will allow your Volvo C70 to make ready all I/M emission monitors in preparation for a smog inspection. Follow the drive cycle carefully. Take extra caution when performing the drive cycle on public roadways. If you feel you will be unable to follow the Volvo drive cycle safely, please seek assistance from an smog check repair station or Volvo dealership. They may be able to perform the drive cycle utilizing a dynamometer, and specialized scan tools.
Prior to beginning the drive cycle ensure your vehicle has between 15% to 85% fuel in the gas tank, and that the engine is cold. It is best to start the driving cycle in the morning (after a cold soak).
All Monitor Drive Cycle - This drive trace is intended to make READY all the emission monitors listed below in one driving trace.
1) MIL (malfunction indicator lamp) must be off
2) Cold start (Best to start in the morning after the vehicle has sat overnight)
3) 1/4 to 3/4 fuel in gas tank. Ensure your Volvo is not running empty or full of fuel.
1) Without depressing the accelerator pedal, start the engine and idle for 3 minutes.
2) In 30 seconds or less, accelerate from 0 to 50 mph, and hold speed steady between 45-50 mph for 20 minutes. Do not use cruise control.
3) Stop your Volvo in a safe place, and idle the engine for 5 minutes with the air conditioner off.
4) Return to a safe driving area and increase your speed from 0 to 50 MPH in less than 30 seconds, and hold speed steady between 45-50 mph for 20 minutes. Do not use cruise control.
5) Stop vehicle in a safe place and turn off the engine for 30 minutes.
6) Repeat the Volvo drive cycle one time.
7) Drive Cycle Complete.