Matching You with a Pre-Screened Smog Check Center You will Love
CA DMV Registration Renewal
$500 Free Consumer Repair Assistance
Failed Emissions Test
How to Pass the Test
Who Else Wants To Pass the Smog Check
Which Type Should I Choose?
    Forum > Out of State Vehicle > Question

Join the community and post your questions. Ask-A-Tech right now!

Out of State Vehicle

Purchased Vehicle in NY and Registering in CA

I am moving from NY to CA at the end of the month and looking to purchase a 2017 Mazda 3 in NY and registering it at the dealership for CA. I will be driving the car cross country. Assuming the car is 50 state certified, I have proof of CA residency (CA Drivers license), and proof of insurance is there anything else I should be aware of? I know I will need to get a smog check in California to finalize the registration, but is there anything else I am missing?


You've almost got it covered. The only thing missing is the VIN Verification. You'll need to obtain one once you drive the vehicle to California. A VIN verification is simply matching up the vehicle's identification number on the chassis with that of the number on its out-of-state title. A VIN verification can be obtained at a California DMV office, California Highway Patrol Station or certified California VIN verification facility, with appointment.

posted by SmogTips Support 05-10-2017 07:53 PM

Related Out of State questions and answers you might find useful:

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Fails Due To Incomplete Emission Monitors by Enid on 09-17-2021 02:22 PM

Passing Smog Check for Out of State Car From Hawaii to CA by Pat on 01-14-2020 11:33 AM

Subaru WRX From Out of State Needs CA Smog Check by Jameson on 11-19-2019 12:44 PM

Can an Out of State Fiat 124 Pass the CA Smog Check? by Brad on 10-04-2019 04:43 AM

Can an Out of State Porsche 911 Pass the CA Smog Check? by MARK on 10-03-2019 10:56 PM