Matching You with a Pre-Screened Smog Check Center You will Love
Free Online Smog Check Diagnosis
$500 Free Consumer Repair Assistance
Failed Emissions Test
How to Pass the Test
Who Else Wants To Pass the Smog Check
Which Type Should I Choose?
    Forum > Emissions Component > Question

Join the community and post your questions. Ask-A-Tech right now!

Emissions Component

Can I Replace CA Emission Certified CAT with the Federal Version?

I need a catalytic converter for my vehicle. The car has the CA emissions label under the hood. I have two questions:

1. Will a federal CAT fit the car or will the connections by different?

2. Will a federal CAT set off an oxygen sensor (O2) error because it is not a California catalytic converter?

Thank you.


EPA guidelines do not allow mismatching emission components. A California emission certified vehicle must maintain its California emission component configuration, regardless of the state in which it is registered. Installing a federal CAT on a California emission vehicle (even if the CAT is an exact fit) will cause your vehicle to fail the smog inspection. The federal CAT may even cause the check engine light to turn on, as both components (CA & Fed) may not function identically. California ARB certified catalytic converters have passed CARB (California Air Resources Board) bench tests, and posses an executive order (EO) number specific to California emissions components.

posted by SmogTips Support 09-15-2018 03:55 PM

Related California Certified questions and answers you might find useful:

Porsche Cayman Smog Check with Modified Engine by Roger on 07-24-2019 02:47 PM

Buying a 2005 to 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 or 3500 5.9L Diesel Pickup from Out of State by John on 03-28-2019 05:33 PM

Is My Vehicle From Florida Smog Certified for California? by Michelle on 02-15-2019 12:58 PM

Moving to California with 2006 Mustang by Luis on 02-04-2019 06:43 PM

2000 Honda CR-V Failed with 49 State Certified Catalytic Converter by Paul on 10-09-2018 09:47 AM