Matching You with a Pre-Screened Smog Check Center You will Love
Free Online Smog Check Diagnosis
$500 Free Consumer Repair Assistance
Failed Emissions Test
How to Pass the Test
Who Else Wants To Pass the Smog Check
Which Type Should I Choose?
    Forum > Out of State Vehicle > Question

Join the community and post your questions. Ask-A-Tech right now!

Out of State Vehicle

Buying a 2005 to 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 or 3500 5.9L Diesel Pickup from Out of State

Searching for a used truck (with over 7,500 miles) to buy from out of state and register in California. When I do, it will be registered in San Luis Obispo, CA. If the under hood emission info sticker says its 49 state federal emissions certified or California emissions certified and the emissions system is stock and has not been modified it will be O.K. to buy it and bring it back to Calif to be registered, correct? Also, I should check to make sure it has passed a recent smog test in that state, correct? Any other advice appreciated. Thank you!


There is a difference with California legal and Federal legal emission systems. However if the Dodge Ram is equipped with the Federal (49-state legal) smog parts which it was originally equipped with, it can pass the California smog check and register with the CA DMV. If the Ram 2500 or 3500 you are considering buying has not had its emissions system tampered, the check engine light is not illuminated and its emission monitors are "ready", the vehicle can pass the California smog check without any emissions system modification and/or upgrade.

posted by SmogTips Support

Related Dodge Ram questions and answers you might find useful:

Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel Monitors Not Ready by AT

Dodge Stratus Drive Cycle To Make Monitors Ready by Sateasha

Buying a 2005 to 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 or 3500 5.9L Diesel Pickup from Out of State by John

Dodge Ram Purchasing in Nevada then Registering it in California by Mark

2000 Dodge Ram Van 1500 Drive Cycle by Pedro