Matching You with a Pre-Screened Smog Check Center You will Love
Free Online Smog Check Diagnosis
$500 Free Consumer Repair Assistance
Failed Emissions Test
How to Pass the Test
Who Else Wants To Pass the Smog Check
Which Type Should I Choose?
    Forum > Out of State Vehicle > Question

Join the community and post your questions. Ask-A-Tech right now!

Out of State Vehicle

How To Register a Mexican Car in the US

Hi, I just moved from Mexico to California. I have a mexican car (bought in Mexico) that I want to register in California. What are the steps that I need to take to do that? Do I have to get a smog check?


Before you can register a car, truck, motorcycle, or motor home brought in from Mexico into California (United States), you must be able to prove that an entry was filed with the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP).

The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) will not register a vehicle that has been imported into the U.S. without proof that an entry was filed with CBP and proof the vehicle conforms to U.S. emissions and safety standards; this is where the smog check comes in. Your vehicle from Mexico will need a California smog inspection in order to be eligible for import and California registration. If your vehicle does not conform to U.S. emissions or safety standards, you will not be able to register it in California (or the US for that matter). Your options will be to either bring the vehicle up to U.S. standards or export the vehicle.

If you drove this car into California, you should have declared the vehicle for import at the border and the entry paperwork would have been handled there. If you failed the declare it at that time you may do so now by contacting a local port. They can provide you the proper documentation.

When filing an entry with CBP for your vehicle, you must be able to demonstrate to CBP that you own the vehicle and it conforms to U.S. emissions and safety standards. You have to submit proof of ownership such as a certificate of title, bill of sale, or manufacturer statement of origin to a CBP Officer at the port.

Additional forms needed for importing a vehicle from Mexico is the Department of Transportation (DOT)Form HS-7, and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Form 3520-1. The California DMV will require these forms when you attempt to register your vehicle from Mexico.

Once you have filed your entry and paid the import fees for your vehicle, which is 2.5% for cars and 1.9% to 2.9% for motorcycles, you will receive the CBP Form 7501 Entry Summary. This form is your proof that you filed your entry with CBP. Be sure to keep a copy to present to the DMV when registering your vehicle.

posted by SmogTips Support 07-12-2016 09:33 AM

Related Mexico questions and answers you might find useful:

Registering Vehicle Brought From Mexico in California by Dave on 02-09-2019 10:59 AM

I Sold My Car To Someone In Mexico, What To Do Next? by Deanna on 07-19-2016 11:11 AM

How To Register a Mexican Car in the US by Adolfo on 07-11-2016 04:22 PM

1976 Chevy K2500 Smog Equipment by Samuel on 01-22-2015 09:03 PM

Buying a Geo Tracker From Out-of-State by Chad on 09-20-2013 03:27 PM