Matching You with a Pre-Screened Smog Check Center You will Love
Free Online Smog Check Diagnosis
$500 Free Consumer Repair Assistance
Failed Emissions Test
How to Pass the Test
Who Else Wants To Pass the Smog Check
Which Type Should I Choose?
    Forum > Emissions Component > Question

Join the community and post your questions. Ask-A-Tech right now!

Emissions Component

2004 Honda Accord LX Catalytic Converter Issue

The vehicle isn’t currently registered, it was bought as is because it wasn’t a running and driving vehicle. I fixed all the mechanical problems, and ran into an issue. The catalytic converter is bad. And that’s the small issue, the real problem here is that the smog technician couldn’t find my engine family number in the database. So I talked to Honda. And they didn’t have answer for me either about a California compliant cat for my car. I don’t know what to do now, I bought this car as is and put money into it to fix it.. it was registered in California back in 2016 before it stopped running, and now the catalytic converter to be able to pass smog and register it just.. doesn’t exist?


Hello Ryan and thank you for submitting this question. There are times when truly a smog check station nor dealer service center can assist with an emissions issue... for that, the State of California has locations referred to as Smog Check Referee Centers. They are usually located at local community colleges.

In this specific case it is our recommendation to make an appointment with a smog check referee and allow them to inspect your Honda Accord. Upon their determination that the catalytic converter is defective and it is the only cause for the vehicle's emission failure, AND if they are unable to locate a replacement CAT, they can issue you a smog check exemption. More than often however the needed emission component is found, and they will help find it.

You may make a referee appointment by calling (800) 622-7733. We hope this information is helpful to you.

posted by SmogTips Support 07-11-2019 09:32 AM

Related Honda Accord questions and answers you might find useful:

Honda Accord Needs CA Smog Check But Is Out of State by Mel on 09-21-2019 03:37 PM

2004 Honda Accord LX Catalytic Converter Issue by Ryan on 07-10-2019 11:59 AM

1997 Honda Accord Emission Monitors Not Complete by Dennis on 07-11-2018 09:44 AM

CARB Approved CAT For My Out of State 2005 Honda Accord by Maria on 03-15-2018 05:55 PM

2010 Honda Accord Need Drive Cycle After Alternator Replaced by T on 01-26-2018 04:23 PM