Matching You with a Pre-Screened Smog Check Center You will Love
Free Online Smog Check Diagnosis
$500 Free Consumer Repair Assistance
Failed Emissions Test
How to Pass the Test
Who Else Wants To Pass the Smog Check
Which Type Should I Choose?
    Forum > Out of State Vehicle > Question

Join the community and post your questions. Ask-A-Tech right now!

Out of State Vehicle

Out of State Vehicle with Out of State CAT

Hi, When I brought my car in from Texas the smog tech said I was exempt from having at CA CAT (I have a 49 state CAT) and passed me with no questions. 2 years and 3,000 miles of driving later it is time for another smog. Will I be exempted again and pass, or will I need to install a CA Catalytic Converter? Given how little I drive the car changing out the CAT may be unjustifiable. Thanks!


So long as the vehicle is equiped with the original catalytic converter (installed at factory), it will pass the California smog check without modification needed. If at any time the CAT was replacement, the replacement CAT must conform to California Air Resources Board requirements... meaning it must posses an EO number (Executive Order). If the cataytic converter was replacement at some point and the replacement CAT does not have an EO number, it will not pass the emissions inspection in California.

posted by SmogTips Support 08-28-2019 11:31 AM

Related Out of State Catalytic Converter questions and answers you might find useful:

Out of State Vehicle with Out of State CAT by Ryan on 08-27-2019 08:39 PM

Seller Responsibility To Provide Passing Smog Certificate by Nicole on 03-28-2018 11:39 AM

CARB Approved CAT For My Out of State 2005 Honda Accord by Maria on 03-15-2018 05:55 PM

Buying a 2008-2009 Hummer H2 From Out of State by Kyle on 08-06-2016 02:04 AM

Using Federal Emission Catalytic Converter On A California? by Omar on 03-16-2016 09:25 PM